Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Few Things I Dislike About IE7 -- So Far

I have been using Firefox for some time now. The main reason I switched is being on dial-up, I found Firefox much faster than IE on my computer. But, with the release of IE7, I wanted to give it a try.

Here are some of my preliminary findings -- many of which, I am sure, will be personal to me.

Speed
  • On my computer, the pages are still considerably slower loading with IE7 than Firefox.

Favorites
  • Having gone the import/export bit before, I decided I wanted a clean slate when importing my nicely organized Firefox Bookmarks to IE7. I was at first pleased that the import was successful -- until I opened the folders. Everything is now in alphabetical order. Alphabetical order is fine for some purposes, but not when you have categorized bookmarks/favorites grouped together.
  • I noticed that very few of the favicons seem to work with IE7. Favicons are great for quick identification of a link.
Tabbed Browser
  • Finally, a tabbed browser with IE! One problem to start with. Unless I specifically right-click a URL and select "Open in New Tab", I end up with yet another window to deal with.
  • There doesn't seem to be a way to designate where new tabs open either. If requesting a "new tab" it opens at the end. A right-click on a URL and selecting open in a new tab results in it opened to the right of the current tab.

    Edit Note: Thanks to an email from "HT" at Computer Defense, who reminded me:
"The easiest way to open a link in a new tab in IE 7 is the same way that you would do it in Firefox... middle click (generally mouse wheel click) on the link."

Thanks, HT!
  • When I'm researching a log, I highlight text, right-click and select "search". A new tab opens at the "end" with the search results. After finishing the log review, I can right-click and select close right tabs.
  • What, no undo closed tab?

No comments: